What is it like in Bordeaux? posted October 2013
So, I've been living here for a month and here is my list of what it is to live in Bordeaux.
- People say "chocolatine" instead of "pain au chocolat" and "poche" instead of "sac". It's kind of weird, especially when I have to say it, I'm always scared that they can tell I'm not from here, which is a stupid thing to be scared of, I had the same kind of feeling when I was living in Canada or China and didn't have the same accent as the locals, but it's weirder having that feeling in my own country.
- Streets are dirty, really dirty, you will always have to avoid dog poops when you go somewhere. Sidewalks are very small so you also always have to walk directly on the road.
- The city is pretty small. It's easy to get around. But when something is a bit far, it's annoying to get there since there is no subway.
- The public transportation system is horrendous, every morning I have to get squished by a thousand students taking the same tramway, most of the time I miss several trams because there are too many people inside, my personal record is seeing five tram passing without being able to enter them. Pretty annoying.
- Not so much accent here, but people say "gavé" a lot, it means "very". For example "c'était gavé bien hier soir".